Updated: Nov 2
Here are my tips for making sure your resolution is still going strong when it is time for next years mince pies!
1. Keep a journal If your goal is to exercise more, writing about the benefits you’re beginning to feel such has being more alert and energetic, will help you stay focused when you feel your resolve slipping.
2. Don’t go it alone It’s one thing skipping a workout when it is just yourself, but tougher to do when a good friend is waiting for you at the gym! A good personal trainer will also help keep you on track and motivate you.
3. Manage expectations Instead of saying things like “I’m going to have a workout every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday for an entire year,” allow yourself some flexibility. Manage your expectations so you’re setting yourself up for success instead of failure by saying something more along the lines of “I will do 2-3 workouts per week”.
4. Know why you are starting When times are tough, you are going to want to quit, so it’s important to remember why you started on this path. Think about the consequences of not staying on track, and also consider the effort you have put in so far.
5. Accept there will be minor set-backs When making a major change in life, we need to accept that there will be times where there are set-backs. We need to forgive ourselves for these setbacks and keep our eyes on the prize: making a life-long change that will better ourselves.
6. Reward yourself It helps to re frame our view of resolutions so that they don’t just signify denying ourselves something. To keep motivated, we need to treat ourselves to something we love every time we have a mini success.
7. Make a commitment Throw yourself into the change completely. You might need to invest a bit of time and money, but it will be worth it in the end. Our gym memberships are very affordable and will give you the environment, equipment and advice to keep you motivated and keep you on track. All of our memberships come with monthly reviews with a personal trainer to track your progress and make sure you are doing the right exercises for you.